Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sew, it may be time.

When I was a freshman in college I decided to make a quilt for a good friend of mine. Never one to shy away from symbolism, each piece of fabric was chosen specifically to represent a particular theme (renewal, creativity, innocence, love, peace, etc...). The small, asymmetrical scraps of found fabric came together in the end to form a butterfly as the central focus of the quilt. As was with the quilt, I later discovered in life that seemingly incomplete, fragmented parts all come together in the end to create something beautiful--the collective "me"--we need only step outside to see it.

Though this experience is my only legitimate sewing challenge, it seems that a lot of the projects I'm drawn to right now are sewing related. The plan is to start small and not overwhelm myself with a huge, intimidating task that will make me put off the next sewing project for another 9 years. I'm in search of interesting fabrics and hope to discover a local fabric store with vintage/modern patterns that don't cost $20-40/yard.

Perhaps I'll break down and buy some online......







Cool fabrics, where you be?

Ashley.


"Arrange whatever pieces come your way."--Virginia Woolf

1 comment:

  1. Sweet. Sewing and I don't get along unfortunately. Which is too bad cuz I'm going to a dinosaur/caveman themed party on Saturday and have great ideas for a cavewoman costume. But it involves sewing and so I'll have to figure out a way around that...

    ReplyDelete